Slow Cooker Pull Apart Roast Beef
The perfect melt in your mouth pull-apart roast beef.
It’s mid November in Jozi, and the days are beautifully long and hot, with temperatures soaring to 34º Celsius on some days.
Sunday’s are our “big lunch” days, but with the weather being so hot, I didn’t feel like spending hours in the kitchen. So my go to for limited kitchen time, is either my pressure cooker or my slow cooker. I checked my deep freeze and discovered I still had a beef roast. So I decided on late lunch – a pull apart roast beef, done in the slow cooker, with some veggies and a fresh green salad.
A simple seasoning of himalayan salt, pepper and roast rub, with a dash of extra virgin olive oil, and my roast was prepared for cooking. I always braise meats before slow cooking, so you have that lovely caramelisation, colour and flavour. And then simply popped some carrots andbaby red potatoes in the bottom of the slow cooker, rested the braised roast on top of the veggies, stuffed it with a few whole garlic cloves and added some broth and onion slices, and spent the rest of my Sunday blogging while my beef roasted to tender perfection in my slow cooker.
For the Roast
- 1.5 Kg Beef Rump Roast
- 3 tsp Himalayan Salt
- 2 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tbsp Roast Rub
- 4-5 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Sprigs of fresh Rosemary
- 10 - 12 Baby red/new potatoes
- 4 Large Carrots cut into halves/quarters
- 1 Large Yellow Onion cut into quarters
For the Gravy
- 2 tbsp All purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- Season the rump roast with the Himalayan Salt, Black Pepper and Roast Rub, and massage the Extra Virgin Olive Oil into the Roast.
- Grease a medium size pot or saucepan with cooking spray, and braise the roast on a medium heat on all sides, until it is golden brown and caramelised.
- While the roast is braising, grease your slow cooker with cooking spray and place the baby red potatoes, carrots in the cooker.
Cut 2-3cm slices into the roast and insert the garlic cloves.
Add the roast, and all the cooking juices on top of the veggies, and then add the onion and rosemary sprigs.
Add the beef broth and cook on low heat for 9 hours or high heat for 6 hours.
- Remove the roast and set aside on a plate. Use two forks to gently pull apart the roast.[
- Reserve the cooking liquid from the slow cooker and pour into a medium size sauce pan.
Add the all purpose flour, whisking continuously to avoid any lumps forming.
Add the water and bring to the boil.
- To serve, plate portions of the roast with a serving of veggies and pour gravy over roast and veggies.Serve with Tenderstem broccoli and a fresh garden salad
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 917Total Fat: 49gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 306mgSodium: 934mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 81g
Work With Me